LRS-2 (Low Resolution Spectrograph) Instrument Summary
- New Intregral field spectrograph based on the VIRUS design
- Actually 2 different spectrographs: LRS2-B and LRS2-R
- Each spectrograph has two arms for simultaneous coverage.
- LRS2-B covers from 370-470 and 460-700 nm at resolutions of 1900 and 1100 in each arm respectively.
- LRS2-R covers from 650-842 and 818-1050 nm at a resolution of 1800 in each arm respectively.
- Each unit has a 12"x6" Fiber integral field unit (IFU) with lenslet coupling, single object with sky fibers
- 0.6" fiber/lenslets on sky.
- 98% fill factor within IFU, so no dithering required.
- Low scattered light
- 15% peak throughput on the sky
- Funded by University of Texas at Austin McDonald Observatory and Penn State University.
- Commissioned in Spring 2016
- For target acquisition and auto-guiding notes, see the performance page
- For determination of where the LRS2 IFU are located in the HET setup images please see the LRS2 fiber layout page.
Last updated: Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:14:54 -0600 shetrone